Support to local communities
Despite the scale of our operations and global reach, we do not forget about our roots and close neighbours.
Despite the scale of our operations and global reach, we do not forget about our roots and close neighbours. The Group’s production plants are often the largest employer in the region, which means that they have a considerable impact on everyday life of people who live in a given town or county. Puławy is a perfect example here, as almost 10% of the town’s population is employed at Grupa Azoty Puławy, and a lot of Puławy-based businesses exist thanks to the cooperation with the company.
We are aware of the role we play in local communities and are proud to support local projects. In 2020, Grupa Azoty Group companies ran or supported numerous educational, cultural and sports projects for their respective local communities and regions, thus building and promoting the Group’s perception as a valued and respected partner and neighbour. Image-building activities with a countrywide and international reach, which boost the perception of the entire Grupa Azoty Group, are carried out by the Group’s corporate department in Tarnów. Each of the companies has in place appropriate social, sponsorship, CSR and donation policies.
Grupa Azoty Group companies prepare quarterly reports on the performance of their plans of social and sponsorship activities and submit them to Grupa Azoty S.A., which, at the Supervisory Board’s request, presents a report on their implementation. Each company submits to the Supervisory Board a report on the effectiveness of its activities involving sponsorship of professional sports. Following the expiry of a sponsorship agreement, the Supervisory Board issues its opinion on the report summarising sponsorship effectiveness analysis. The information is then published, in accordance with the Articles of Association, in the Directors’ Report (sections 8.15 and 8.16)
Objectives of the social and sponsorship activities:
- Building a positive image of the Grupa Azoty Group as a community- and environment-friendly business organisation, the leader of the chemical industry in Poland and Europe
- Building the Group’s and its companies’ image as socially responsible businesses supporting local initiatives
- Promoting the Grupa Azoty brand by improving its recognition outside the group of its customers and buyers of its products
- Communicating the Grupa Azoty Group’s message to stakeholders which are important to the Company, with a focus on the importance of high standards of projects and initiatives implemented by the Group
- Building the Group’s and its companies’ reputation, recognition and favourable perception among the public, particularly for the positive role the Group plays in solving social and environmental issues of today’s world
- Enhancing attractiveness of the regions in which the Group operates as places to live, work, pursue passions and fulfil ambitions, while offering children and young people the best possible education, health and wellbeing opportunities
- Supporting promotional and commercial activities
Community engagement of the Grupa Azoty Group is governed by the Social and Sponsorship Policy, Donation Policy and CSR Policy.
The Social and Sponsorship Policy sets out the rules for fostering the Grupa Azoty Group’s reputation of not only a financially successful, but also socially responsible business. As an entity using natural resources, we undertake social and sponsorship activities dedicated primarily to supporting local initiatives and needs. We care in particular about the development of the regions where our companies operate. At the same time, we seek to ensure that the reach and nature of the projects we choose to sponsor is supra-regional.
Through donations, governed by the Donation Policy, we want to respond to the needs of foundations, associations, schools, non-profit organisations and individuals in difficult circumstances. In particular, we support projects contributing to medical care improvement, social and educational development of children and youth, as well as other initiatives benefiting local communities.
Selected purposes of donations described in the Donation Policy:
- providing social assistance, mainly to families and individuals in difficult circumstances, and promoting equal opportunities for such families and individuals
- supporting activities aimed at social and professional inclusion of individuals who are at risk of social exclusion
- charitable activities
- cultivating and fostering Polish traditions and national identity, strengthening national, civic and cultural awareness
- activities supporting national/ethnic minorities and regional languages
- health protection and promotion
- support for the disabled
- support for equal rights of men and women
- support for the development of technology, inventions and innovation, as well as promotion and implementation of new technological solutions in business
- activities supporting the development of local groups and communities
- science, higher education, schooling, and education systems
- holidays for children and the youth
- culture, arts, and protection of cultural property and national heritage
- support for European integration and fostering international contacts and cooperation
The objective of the CSR Policy is to define the principles to be followed in undertaking corporate social responsibility projects. We engage in CSR initiatives with a view to establishing a positive reputation of our brand and building respect and favourable attitude of the public. We want to reach entities and environments that are important to the Grupa Azoty Group, both in Poland and abroad.
Selected CSR policy objectives:
- initiatives of importance to the local community
- projects furthering and promoting the history and tradition of Poland’s chemical industry and supporting its development
- scientific and research programmes aimed at protecting the natural environment and preventing the degradation of natural resources
- building respect for Poland’s national and cultural identity
- environmental protection
- promotion of knowledge, in particular by participating in conferences, seminars and congresses concerning broadly-defined chemical industry and agriculture
- amateur sport and recreation, including sports of individual sportsmen, children, youth and disabled persons
- activities supporting economic development, including development of entrepreneurship
The Grupa Azoty Group lends patronage to nationwide sports events. The best known initiative in this area is the cooperation with the Polish Skiing Association as the Main Partner. Grupa Azoty S.A. has for many years supported, among others, the Polish ski jumping team. Its support for winter sports takes two forms, including sponsoring individual athletes (Piotr Żyła, Jakub Wolny and Aleksander Zniszczoł) and acting as the main sponsor of major sports events in Poland, such as the ski jumping World Cup contests in Wisła and Zakopane.
Grupa Azoty S.A. maintains ongoing contact with the local community, keeping it informed about current developments in its operations. It carries out many community-oriented projects to engage with its stakeholders.
Due to the pandemic, these activities were largely limited in 2020. However, among the few events that were organised was the ‘Arbour Day with Grupa Azoty S.A.’ environmental and educational campaign. During the event, the Company’s employees and students from the Tarnów-Mościce Technical School Complex planted several dozen trees around the plant’s buildings.
In 2020, Grupa Azoty S.A. supported local communities in five areas: regional development, education, sports, culture and protection of human health and life. Through these activities, the Company can build and consolidate the image of Grupa Azoty as a valued and recognised partner. Thanks to such efforts, the Company also builds stronger and lasting relations with its immediate social environment.
Support to the region:
In 2020, Grupa Azoty S.A. participated in initiatives for the development of the region and its community, supporting such institutions as:
- Polish Tourist Association Branch at Grupa Azoty S.A. in Tarnów-Mościce,
- KANON Association,
- Social Initiatives Association,
- ‘Linking Foundation’ for the Support of Local Ties, • Ignacy Mościcki Foundation of Tarnów,
- Society of the Friends of Mościce.
Support to education:
Last year, Grupa Azoty S.A. continued partnerships with schools from the Tarnów region, including the Technical School Complex in Tarnów. Grupa Azoty S.A. intends to continue that cooperation on a long-term basis. To this end, it has signed an agreement with the Ignacy Mościcki Technical School Complex, under which the Company is to employ up to ten students yearly, provide apprenticeship opportunities, help prepare classes and organise educational field trips, and offer support in applying for EU funds.
Grupa Azoty S.A. also actively collaborates with scientific institutions and academic centres. For decades, the Company has not only supported research into industrial technologies and techniques, but has also been actively involved in the organisation of educational projects linking students with industry.
Support to sports:
In building the strength of its brand, Grupa Azoty sponsors sports disciplines that enjoy the greatest popularity among Poles, such as ski jumping, volleyball, speedway, football and athletics. In an effort to help satisfy the needs of the local communities, it supports not only professional but also amateur sports people and organisations, which in 2020 included:
- Grupa Azoty Roleski PWSZ Tarnów Club (volleyball),
- Grupa Azoty Tarnów (handball),
- ZKS Unia Tarnów Sports Club (football, futsal);
- Unia Tarnów Żużlowa Sportowa Spółka Akcyjna (speedway).
Support to culture:
Grupa Azoty S.A. assists in the organisation of cultural events promoting respect for the national and cultural identity. We also support cultural projects and programmes promoting both our region and national culture.
In 2020, we lent our support to the ArtContest Artistic Association of Tarnów (Grupa Azoty International Jazz Contest) and the Paderewski Centre in Kąśna Dolna.
Support to initiatives for protecting life and health:
Last year, we offered help particularly to those entities that care for the development of others. For this reason, Grupa Azoty supported organisations such as Tytus Chałubiński PCK Blood Donors Club at Grupa Azoty S.A.
Understandably, in 2020 our health-oriented initiatives were focused on the coronavirus pandemic. For more details, go here.
Grupa Azoty Police builds its community friendly image by providing support to various initiatives, including:
- professional and amateur sports;
- cultural initiatives, including mass cultural events;
- educational institutions for children and youth;
- research programmes;
- regional environmental initiatives;
- social campaigns.
Clubs and athletes supported by Grupa Azoty Police in 2020 included:
- Pogoń Szczecin football team;
- Chemik Police Volleyball Club;
- Marcin Lewandowski, resident of Police and a multiple European champion and bronze medalist of the 2019 World Championships in the 1,500 metre race;
- West Pomeranian Fencing Association;
- Chemik Police Football Club;
- Police Youth Football Academy.
Promoting national traditions and patriotic attitudes plays an important role in Grupa Azoty Police’s agenda of social and sponsorship activities. In 2020, the company continued its cooperation with the Foundation for Polish Values, including through the ‘Package for the Compatriot and Hero Living in the Eastern Borderlands’ campaign, aiming to donate Easter and Christmas gifts for Poles and their families living east of Poland.
Dunant Voluntary Blood Donors Club of Police. In 2020, 175 volunteers donated almost 80 litres of blood during six blood donation drives hosted on the Company’s premises. The Association has operated under the company’s patronage since 2018. Grupa Azoty Police also commenced cooperation with the ‘Useful Ones’ Social Cooperative, which works with individuals with disabilities. The cooperative runs two restaurants in which disabled persons can pursue their interests, raise their qualifications and socialise.
For years now, Grupa Azoty Police has been supporting the development of professional and vocational education. By partnering with secondary schools, it ensures that young people, its potential future employees, acquire skills and knowledge needed in the chemical sector. The Company has under its auspices the chemical engineering class at the Ignacy Łukasiewicz School Complex in Police. The students are given the opportunity to complete work placements at the company and apply for scholarships. Grupa Azoty Police has also partnered with a number of schools in Szczecin, including the Electricity and Electronics School Complex, the Władysław Orkan School Complex No. 2 and the Home Army School Complex No. 4. Their students, like their peers from the Police-based school complex, can complete work placements at the company and receive scholarships.
In addition, Grupa Azoty Police continues to work with the West Pomeranian University of Technology, including on R&D projects, implementation-based doctoral programmes, educating technical staff, and organising work placements for students of chemical and process engineering and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics.
The initiatives joined by Grupa Azoty Police in 2020 included:
- extension of the playground for children at the Salesian Children’s Home in Szczecin;
- support for the Passion of Christ Mystery play;
- support for the Honorary Blood Donors Club in Police;
- support for the Ostoja Teetotal Association;
- support for the organisation of an anniversary event and production of decorations commemorating the 50th anniversary of the December 1970 strikes and bloodshed in Szczecin.
Support to science:
- patronage agreement with the Technical School Complex in Puławy, under which Grupa Azoty Puławy undertook to hire at least ten of each year’s school leavers;
- partnership with the Puławy Branch of the Maria Curie Skłodowska University.
Each month, Grupa Azoty distributes its corporate Grupa Azoty Magazine presenting information on all key areas of the Company’s activities.
Support to social campaigns:
- cooperation with the Honorary Blood Donors Club at Grupa Azoty Puławy with respect to blood donation drives and registration of potential marrow donors;
- partnership with the Municipal Social Welfare Centre in organising charitable donations for families in need;
- continued partnership with the County Headquarters of the State Fire Service and Voluntary Fire Brigades under the ‘Safety is Our Common Goal’ programme.
Support to sports:
Continuation or start of cooperation with:
- Azoty-Puławy Handball Sports Club;
- Wisła Puławy Sports Club;
- Malwina Kopron, a hammer thrower from Puławy who returned with a bronze medal from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games;
- Speedway Motor Lublin speedway club;
- MKS Padwa Zamość;
- Azoty Yacht Club;
- ‘Powiślak’ Końskowola sports club.
Support to culture:
- ‘Dom Chemika’ Puławy Culture Centre;
- Lublin Music Theatre;
- Vistula Museum in Kazimierz Dolny;
- Radio Lublin.
Grupa Azoty Puławy took part in the celebrations of the 400th anniversary of the church organ in Kazimierz Dolny, which provided an opportunity to organise a number of musical performances. It also became involved in the celebrations of the 40th anniversary of the 1980 Lublin strikes and the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Warsaw. The company was the main strategic sponsor of the ‘The Pope and the Primate. Friendship Born in the Lublin Region’ television show made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Saint John Paul II.
Support to culture:
- Celebrations of the Dutchy of Koźle Days combined with the Cadet Day in Kędzierzyn-Koźle and publication of the ‘Koźle. History and Legends’ guidebook/bulletin, organised by the Opolskie Orlęta Foundation;
- 25th Kędzierzyn-Koźle Scientific Seminar organised by the Koźle Region Association, with the 21st volume of the Kędzierzyn-Koźle Sketches published by the Institute of Pedagogical Sciences of the University of Opole and the Koźle Region Association;
- 9th edition of the ‘Gitariada 40’ open air music event in Kędzierzyn-Koźle, organised by the Municipal Cultural Centre;
- 33th ‘Wrzosowisko’ Nationwide Festival of Tourist Song, Sung Poetry and Various Arts, organised by the Municipal Cultural Centre.
Support to sports:
- Chemik Kędzierzyn-Koźle Football Academy;
- Academic Championships of Poland in Opole, organised by the AZS (University Sports Association) Sports Club at the Opole University of Technology;
- the ‘ĆWICZĘSTO – Work Out Safely With Us’ physical activity project, organised by the Koziołek Sports Club Association
In 2020, Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn offered support to Bartłomiej Mróz, a parabadminton player from Kędzierzyn-Koźle, who takes part in international competitions for people with upper extremity disability. Bartłomiej Mróz has set up a foundation of his own name to promote and popularise badminton and parabadminton in Poland.
Support to science:
- 8th ‘Chemistry Masterminds’ Interschool Chemical Competition at School Complex No. 3 in Kędzierzyn-Koźle;
- summer open air event organised by Radio Opole to promote rural areas and fertilizer production.